Want To Keep Your Tampa Construction Site Pest-Free? Find Out How
Human habitats may dominate the greater Tampa area, but there is no dearth of wildlife. You will find them almost everywhere, from roadways to subdivisions, alleyways to parking lots. While humans live in civilization and animals in nature, the two often interact.
You might come across a cute squirrel or an inquisitive pigeon now and then. But not all of these encounters are pleasant. For example, you might have hired Tampa-based builders to construct a new home on your lot, only to have the work disrupted by the presence of spiders, rats, and other creepy-crawlies.
The truth is, when you are carrying out a construction project, you are disrupting the natural habitat of various pests and rodents. A pest infestation becomes a major problem for the worksite, not only spreading disease but causing damage to new structures and materials as well. To ensure the safety of your construction site, you must nip the problem in the bud.
Pre-Construction Pest Prevention Methods
Before you start work on your empty lot in Tampa, discuss a few preventative measures with your contractor. Hire a pest control professional, if necessary. They are experts at helping you ward off pests and addressing important issues related to health and safety ahead of time.
Pest Monitors: Install pest monitors around the construction site so that you are alerted every time a rat or other rodent infiltrates your defenses. This is a good way to prevent infestation of the worksite.
Grading: Unless your lot is properly graded, puddles will form on the site. And these puddles attract insects such as mosquitoes and termites.
Water Sources: Ask your pest control expert to treat nearby water sources like lakes and ponds. Many species of pests are drawn to such water bodies.
Termite Treatment: Treating your construction site for termites early on in the construction process will pay off later as it creates a chemical barrier, effectively shielding your building from further infestations. Common termite treatment processes involve treating the soil on your lot before slab placement or targeting the areas where wooden cabinets, doors, and other household items are placed.
Ward Off Pests During Construction
Pests can invade your new building in the middle of the construction phase and wreak havoc. Not only do they carry germs and diseases, but bigger creatures like rats can chew through wires and damage expensive equipment. So, pay attention to the finer details and request your construction crew to notify the exterminators if you suspect an infestation.
- Work with your Tampa contractor to keep the site clean. Avoid any spills and crumbs. Pieces of wood and cardboard, for example, might seem harmless, but they can act as a habitat or food source for some varieties of pests. So, be mindful of any waste spread around your lot.
- The best way to prevent pests from re-entering your new home is to get rid of them permanently. For that reason, it’s best to contact a pest control professional who can set bait or traps around the exterior of your lot to prevent pests from relocating into nearby areas.
- You need to inspect each of the materials coming into the construction site, especially wood that contains pests like wood-boring termites or beetles.
- Trim the surrounding vegetation so that it does not come in contact with your building.
- Take suitable precautions so that the wooden parts of your home do not come in contact with the soil.
- Make sure all the entry points around the windows and doors remain sealed off. You can use stainless steel wire mesh or foam insulation for this purpose.
Florida is the home to thousands of insect varieties. If you are hiring one of the Tampa home builders, do not forget to go the extra mile and take necessary precautions to make the process a smooth one. If possible, involve your builders in the pest control discussion. With years of experience, they may be able to offer valuable information and suggestion.